The football field is very large, for that reason, it will affect the entire game as well as the players’ playing tactics. However, do you already know the American football field dimensions in detail? As well as how long is a football field in feet including the end zone? If you have questions about the answer, let’s find out with Scott Fujita!
How long is a football field in feet?
The battle will be played on a rectangular field with two indicators: 360 feet in length and 160 feet in width.
The playing field is 100 meters long, with the end area 10 meters deep on each side. In total, a football field covers 1.32 acres, or the equivalent of 57,600 square feet including end zones. Hash marks measured on the field is 100 yards each, with markings on each five yards and number of fields marking every 10 yards on both sides.
A NFL football field is 360 feet in length and 160 feet in width
The actual dimensions of NFL football field
Those two sets of hash marks numbers were first seen on professional football fields as a result of the first rule changes in 1933, which marked one of the first major deviations from colleges.
Each play starts from the most recent pound sign until the end of the previous play – if said play ends outside of a pound sign, including on the margin. Therefore, with less space between the sharp sets and more space between the sharps and the touchline, there is more real estate for the ballbearer to turn and move around the defenders.
Similarly, the width of the field is the same for high schools, colleges, and NFL. The only variable that varies by level is the distance between two sets of yard lines. For high school American football, the sharps are 53 feet, 4 inches apart. That distance drops to 40 feet in college and drops to 18 feet, 6 inches in the NFL.
Differences between college, pro, and high school football field dimensions
The number one difference between high school college/professional football fields is the scoring column. The width of the target posts are 23 feet, 4 inches for high school compared to 18 feet, 6 inches for college football ranks and professional ranks. All target poles are 10 feet above the ground. There should be padding on the goal lines up to 6 feet above the ground.
You will also see “G” on the high schools where the target line is located. It should also be noted that small signs are often placed on high school fields at 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th and 50th lines outside the field to provide visual aid to the players.
In professional American football fields, coach and team box sizes may vary slightly from college football or high school football.
Why is a football field 100 yards?
When the end zone of American football fields was introduced to the sport in 1912 and affected the lifespan of a football field, there were too many pitches that would not be available if they were adapted to a 110 yards current, so the pitch of play time was reduced to 100 yards.
The dimensions of Canadian football field
The size of a Canadian football rectangular field is 110 yards from line to line, with 20 yards at the end of the field, and unlike football. The target posts are above the target line. Don’t forget to bring binoculars when playing games.
Football field dimensions of each part
Each parts of a football field have their own standard dimension
How long is an American football stadium?
As you probably know, a stadium is the whole structure or area where football and other games take place, pitches, stands, etc. Stadiums come in all shapes and sizes. The important thing is that they make room for a 100-foot football field.
NFL stadiums and college football stadiums come in two main categories: dome stadiums and outdoor stadiums. Covered stadiums are designed so that players and fans don’t have to deal with the weather.
The teams always play on artificial turf and they always have a roof over their heads. When you talk about big football field dimensions, both types of stadiums typically hold between 50,000 and 107,000 screaming fans.
The field marks
In the American football field dimensions explanation, you will see a lot of white lines all over the field. Each line has a special meaning to ensure that the game is played according to the rules and to facilitate navigation:
- End lines: Lines at each end of the field.
- Horizontal lines: Lines along each side of the field.
- Target lines: Target lines are 10 yards inside and parallel to each end line.
- The playing field: This is the size of the area bounded by the goal lines and the goal line.
- 50 yard line: The field is divided in half by the 50 yard line measure and is located in the center of the field.
- End zone: These are two opposite zones bounded by boundary lines, end lines and target lines.
- Lines: These are components of the dimensions that run parallel to the goal line for 5 yards and are marked across the field from line to line. These lines stop at 8 inches above the 6 ft solid line in the NFL.
- Hash marks: This hash marks each line 70 feet and 9 inches long from the line in the NFL. College and high school football field sizes have sharp hash marks 60 ft from the sideline. Two sets of sharps run parallel to each other the length of the field and are approximately 18 1/2 feet apart.
- Players bench: This is an additional component of the court size consisting of the white line located outside the court line, 6 feet from the line. It’s an additional dashed white line that designates the areas where coaches and substitutes can stand.
The team convenes in the bench area during the game, watching teammates compete or rest on the benches, just like in basketball. This is also the area where doctors and coaches assess injured players. All of this happens outside of the main dimensions of the field.
The football field surface
Natural grass and artificial turf are two types of surfaces used in football. Each has its own pros and cons:
- Natural grass: In general, natural grass is similar to your back of the end yard lawn or any baseball field: It is green, soft, and beautiful, but needs to be mowed, watered, and renewed.
- Artificial grass: Some artificial surfaces are made from synthetic nylon fibers like very short blades of grass. Other man-made surfaces have tight weaves that feel like a cushioned rug. When compared to natural grass, artificial turf is cheaper to maintain.
The goal post
Standers in college and professional tournaments stand 20 feet tall on 18 feet 6 inches wide goal posts. The high school goal posts are 23 feet 4 inches wide, much wider. The total height of the scoring column varies according to the level of play. Goal post is 35 feet high in the NFL, a minimum of 10 meters high for college and a minimum of 10 meters high for high school.
The football size
Different American football sizes are used depending on the age of the player. Younger athletes use a smaller ball to accommodate smaller hands. In high school, college, and the NFL, full-size football is used.
Here is a list of the exact American football measurements used at all levels of play
- Junior Leagues (usually for ages 9-12): 6 inches wide, 10.5 inches long, 18.5 inches in diameter.
- Youth tournaments (usually for ages 12-14): 11 inches long, 6.5 inches wide, 19.5 inches in diameter.
- High school: The standard size of a high school student football ball is 11 inches long, 7 inches wide, and 21 inches in diameter.
- University: 11 inches long, 7 inches wide, 21 inches in diameter.
- NFL: 11 inches long, 7 inches wide, 21 inches in diameter.
Some fun facts about football fields
Trivia about American football field
1. How many football fields are there in a mile?
It would take 17.6 football fields laid end to end to travel a mile.
2. How many square feet in a football field when including end zones?
The entire area of the football field, including the end areas, equals 57,600 square feet.
3. What is the biggest football stadium?
At the university, Michigan Stadium has the largest capacity stadium. The width of the field can accommodate a crowd of 107,601 people. They call it “The Big House” because of this reason! The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum holds bragging rights to the largest stadium in the NFL. Its capacity is 93,607 people.
4. How long do football fields last in tournaments?
A football field is 0.056 leagues long. The NFL has 32 leagues, but one is 1760 yards long.
5. What is the length of a football field in lines?
A football field is 43,200 streets long. One line is 1/12 inch.
6. How long is the American football field in kilometers?
With the end zones, a football field is 0.056 miles long.
7. How many miles long is the American football field?
A football field is 0.49 nautical miles long.
8. How long is an American football field in sticks?
A football field of play is 18,182 sticks long. A rod is 16 1/2 geodesic feet long.
9. How long will you be on the American football field?
A football field is 3,600,000 people long. In case you were wondering, you are 1/1000 of an inch.
Thus, through this article, we have the correct answer to the question how long are football fields in feet and its hash marks. Exactly one field football would be 120 yards long (or 360 feet long) and 53 1/3 yards wide (or 160 feet wide).
You can also learn more about different football field parts and their dimensions. Not only the size of the entire field, but also the size of the parts on the field have their own standards!